History

 

North Balwyn Bowls Club is a community based sports club and this year we celebrate our 70th anniversary.

We provide a social outlet not only for bowls but are involved with school programs and continue to promote exercise for all age groups.

This has been the way of life for our Club since the Official Club and Green Opening Day on 21 February 1948.

To quote from the Annual Report of 1963-64 by the President, George Handley:

"First and foremost, this will always be a good Club to belong to, while so many people - men and ladies - keep coming forward to give so generously of their time, talents, resources and most importantly, of their cheery goodwill towards their fellow bowlers."

So much has changed but the culture of the club lives on.

In 1988 the Club commissioned the production of a book 'North Balwyn Bowls Club - Forty Years On 1948-1988' and in 1998 this was replaced by 'Golden Jubillee - North Balwyn Celebrates 50 Years of Bowling'.  An addendum 'Our Ten Years History 1998-2008' continued our story.  All productions are excellent reading and available at the Club.  Our current Club Historian, Colin McLaren is keeping meticulous notes so again we can continue to document our history.

This 2017-2018 Pennant Season we have entered 10 Sides (Saturday 5 and Midweek 5).

Our Club relies totally on the volunteer work of its members for the operation of the bowling program, the social program, the maintenance of grounds and playing surfaces and for club governance.